Tuesday, March 8, 2022

We All Need A Helper

CHAPTER 6

When Christians are faced with difficulties, temptations, trials (take your pick) Hannah Whitall Smith exhorts and encourages us to stop using phrases that suggest we have no hope. For example when we are struggling with a broken relationship it is easy to think or even say, “I have no hope this will ever turn around.” Smith suggests we teach ourselves to eliminate these thoughts by reconstructing the phrase to say, “I have no faith (or hope or trust) in… God.” She reminds us that Sovereign God is in control and ultimately He would be the one in whom we are losing hope. Even as I wrote that phrase down I felt the weight of self-incrimination; how could we ever blame God? The author is correct when she says the phase will “become so dreadful to you, that you will not dare to continue it.” 

Whereas this practice may serve as a good defibrillation of our soul, the Father does not transform us by using the shock of shame and guilt. Hannah goes on to explain how we must apply God’s truth to grow faith by looking outside ourselves for the Holy Spirit’s help in overcoming all of life’s difficulties. 

It wasn’t until my college years that I finally learned that every struggling student who wants to advance must learn how to communicate their need for help to teachers, to those who are experts in the field of their study, or to their classmates who have recently grasped their own understanding of the subject matter. This lesson was not readily applied in my own personal journey because I did not like the implications. My belief was 1) the help I needed was not available to me, 2) I would be found out not to have all the answers, and 3) I was not convinced that the added uncomfortable work would bring the desired results in the end. 

Some Christ-followers who struggle to mature beyond their initial conversion, may be holding onto similar thoughts when it comes to their faith—I know I did. As a young believer I thought asking God for help would: 1) force me to do something too uncomfortable, unpopular, unnatural, and ultimately unavailable to me, 2) mean having to remind myself constantly of my short-comings, and 3) require me to believe that the alternative to my way of doing things would be better and less work than His way. 

If this is the way you are thinking, I encourage you to read through chapter six, reconsider God’s desire for you, and then trust Him as you cry out for help. 

Act on His truth. Believe what He says. Grow in faith. 

THOUGHTS AND QUESTIONS FOR INTERACTION 

Our greatest problem is resolved by our response to God’s greatest remedy. We all had fallen short of God’s glory because of sin. But then we realized that forgiveness of sin was found by believing in Jesus Christ as Savior (His death on the cross becomes the substitute for our punishment when we believe). Our belief in that is our faith resulting in our salvation. 

  • As Christ-followers we believe the above paragraph. Get together with a fellow believer and share how different your future is today because of the truth above. 
  • Think about and jot down some current problems you are experiencing. Maybe you are struggling with finances, or broken relationships, or failing health… there are endless possibilities. 
  • Now read again from page 74, 
“…remember that ‘though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations’ (1 Peter 1:6), it is only like going through a tunnel. The sun has not ceased shining because the traveller through the tunnel has ceased to see it; and the Sun of righteousness is still shining, although you in your dark tunnel do not see Him”  
and answer this: How does this tunnel illustration help you have faith, hope, and trust in God despite your difficult situation? 
  • Pray with your believing friend for the Holy Spirit’s help in the journey of growth He is leaning you in.

No comments:

Post a Comment