Tuesday, January 28, 2020

No Greater Legacy

I bought a wide-margined Bible that I'm using to work through the M'Cheyne's Bible Reading Plan. Each day I write my thoughts in the margins--many of which form the substance of these blog entries. A couple weeks into the year I decided I would gift this Bible to one of my kids at the end of the year and do it again for 2021 for the other.

Today's reading included Matthew 28:18–20--The Great Commission. As I wrote, I imagined my kids one day coming to this entry and embracing their God-given purpose. 


Here's what I wrote:

This is one of the most important passages for the Church today as it gives us our purpose. The command given by Jesus here is:
"Make Disciples!"
Many people wrongly confuse the command in the verse as "GO" because of the way it is translated in most versions of the Bible. However, if we were to translate it more word-for-word as literal as we could make it, it would be rendered more like this:
"While you are going make disciples…"
It is so important that we see ourselves as a people who are moving (without being commanded to move). And to understand that while we are moving we are obligated to "Make Disciples"--followers of Christ who are growing in their ability to obey His teachings. 

If you ever feel inadequate in this endeavor, don't forget:
1. He has been given "all authority," and  
2. He will be "with you always, even to the end of the age." 
Just as I hope my kids embrace this understanding of their reason for living, I'm making it my prayer that the church I serve reflects this understanding. In my mind, there is no greater legacy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment