Wednesday, January 22, 2020

What to Do with Bible Questions

I've often wondered how Paul could write in 1 Corinthians 11:23 that he "received from the Lord what I passed on to you" regarding the instructions for the Lord's Supper. Paul's ministry didn't begin until well after Jesus's ascension. In today's reading I found a clue as to how it was possible. 

Paul was giving a defense to an angry mob for his ministry to the gentiles. As Paul described his conversion story he relayed what Ananias told him when he regained his sight:
"The God of our fathers has appointed you to know His will and to see the Righteous One and to hear an utterance from His mouth. For you will be a witness for Him to all men of what you have seen and heard." 
On the road to Damascus Paul didn't "see" the Righteous One, but rather he was blinded by a great light. I believe Ananias was referring to encounters that had not yet taken place between Paul and Jesus. I believe the 1 Corinthians 11 passage is referring to one of those encounters as is a passage in the book of Galatians:
"I neither received [the Good News] from man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ." Galatians 1:12
It really is exciting to discover answers from God's Word to the questions we have. Do you have any Bible questions that you've wondered about? Why not ask the questions to God in prayer and then get into His Word on a daily basis?  

No comments:

Post a Comment